Wednesday (2nd Church Berkeley) readings, inspired by an article in the Christian Science Sentinel – http://sentinel.christianscience.com/blogs/living-christian-science-today/all-creatures-moving-in-harmony
- SH Dan. 3:8 1st at, 9, 12, 14, 15 2nd if ye, 16-18, 20, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30
- 8 …at that time certain Chaldeans came near, and accused the Jews. 9 They spake and said to the king Nebuchadnezzar, O king, live for ever. 12 There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. 14 Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up? 15 …if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands? 16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. 18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. 20 And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and to cast them into the burning fiery furnace. 24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king. 25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. 27 And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king’s counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them. 28 Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king’s word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God. 30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, in the province of Babylon.
- SH Acts 28:3 1st when, 5
- 3 …when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.
- SH Dan. 6:19-23, 25, 26
- 19 Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions. 20 And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions? 21 Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever. 22 My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions’ mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt. 23 Then was the king exceedingly glad for him, and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God. 25 Then king Darius wrote unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you. 26 I make a decree, That in every dominion of my kingdom men tremble and fear before the God of Daniel: for he is the living God, and stedfast for ever, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed, and his dominion shall be even unto the end.
- SH Acts 17:28 (to 1st ;)
- 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being;
- SH Matt. 14:14
- 14 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.
- SH Matt. 18:2-5
- 2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
- S&H Isa. 11:6
- 6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
- S&H 514:26-10
- Understanding the control which Love held over all,
Daniel felt safe in the lions’ den, and Paul proved the
viper to be harmless. All of God’s creatures
moving in the harmony of Science, are harm-
less, useful, indestructible. A realization of this grand
verity was a source of strength to the ancient worthies.
It supports Christian healing, and enables its possessor
to emulate the example of Jesus. “And God saw that
it was good.”
Patience is symbolized by the tireless worm, creeping
over lofty summits, persevering in its intent. The ser-
pent of God’s creating is neither subtle nor
poisonous, but is a wise idea, charming in its
adroitness, for Love’s ideas are subject to the Mind which
forms them, – the power which changeth the serpent
into a staff.
- S&H 129:21-29
- We must abandon pharmaceutics, and take up ontol-
ogy, – “the science of real being.” We must look deep
into realism instead of accepting only the out-
ward sense of things. Can we gather peaches
from a pine-tree, or learn from discord the concord of
being? Yet quite as rational are some of the leading
illusions along the path which Science must tread in its
reformatory mission among mortals. The very name,
illusion, points to nothingness.
- S&H 191:24-25
- The Science of being reveals man and immortality as
based on Spirit.
- S&H 321:8-11, 13, 29
- When, led by wisdom to cast down his
rod, he saw it become a serpent, Moses fled be-
fore it; but wisdom bade him come back and
handle the serpent, and then Moses’ fear departed.
The serpent, evil, under
wisdom’s bidding, was destroyed through understanding
divine Science, and this proof was a staff upon which to
lean. The illusion of Moses lost its power to alarm him,
when he discovered that what he apparently saw was really
but a phase of mortal belief.
And so it was in the coming
centuries, when the Science of being was demonstrated
by Jesus, who showed his students the power of Mind by
changing water into wine, and taught them how to handle
serpents unharmed, to heal the sick and cast out evils in
proof of the supremacy of Mind.
- S&H 460:5
- Our system of
Mind-healing rests on the apprehension of the
nature and essence of all being, – on the divine Mind
and Love’s essential qualities. Its pharmacy is moral,
and its medicine is intellectual and spiritual, though used
for physical healing. Yet this most fundamental part of
metaphysics is the one most difficult to understand and
demonstrate, for to the material thought all is material,
till such thought is rectified by Spirit.
- S&H 415:17-19, 21
- Note how thought makes the face pallid. It either re-
tards the circulation or quickens it, causing a pale or
cles, moving quickly or slowly and impelled or palsied by
thought, represent the action of all the organs of the hu-
man system, including brain and viscera. To remove
the error producing disorder, you must calm and instruct
mortal mind with immortal Truth.
- S&H 144:27-29
- When the Science of being is universally understood,
every man will be his own physician, and Truth will be
the universal panacea.
- S&H 556:25-30
- Ontology receives less attention than physiology. Why?
Because mortal mind must waken to spiritual
life before it cares to solve the problem of
being, hence the author’s experience; but when
that awakening comes, existence will be on a new stand-
- S&H 554:4-7
- There is no such thing
as mortality, nor are there properly any mortal beings,
because being is immortal, like Deity, – or, rather, being
and Deity are inseparable.
- S&H 264:32-1
- The universe of Spirit is peopled with spiritual beings,
and its government is divine Science.
- S&H 557:10
- Christian Sci-
ence reveals harmony as proportionately increasing as the
line of creation rises towards spiritual man, – towards
enlarged understanding and intelligence; but in the line
of the corporeal senses, the less a mortal knows of sin,
disease, and mortality, the better for him, – the less pain
and sorrow are his. When the mist of mortal mind evap-
orates, the curse will be removed which says to woman,
“In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children.” Divine
Science rolls back the clouds of error with the light of
Truth, and lifts the curtain on man as never born and as
never dying, but as coexistent with his creator.
Dan. 3:8 at, 9, 12, 14, 15 2nd if ye, 16-18, 20, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30
Acts 28:3 when, 5
Dan. 6:19-23, 25, 26
Acts 17:28 (to ;)
SH 321:8-11, 13, 29
SH 415:17-19, 21
Acts 28:3 when, 5
Dan. 6:19-23, 25, 26
Acts 17:28 (to ;)
SH 321:8-11, 13, 29
SH 415:17-19, 21
Hymns: 81, 57, 382