Wed., 12/2/15 readings, 2nd Church Berkeley
- SH Job 16:19 1st behold
- 19 …behold, my witness is in heaven, and my record is on high.
- SH Ps. 27:12-14
- 12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty. 13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
- SH Isa. 43:10
- 10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
- SH Luke 4:14-22 (to 1st .)
- 14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. 22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth.
- SH John 18:37 1st To this
- 37 …To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
- SH John 10:22-25
- 22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. 25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me.
- SH Acts 1:6-8
- 6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- SH Acts 4:33
- 33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- SH I John 1:2
- 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
- SH Heb. 12:1, 2
- 1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- SH 46:26-3
- In his final demonstration, called the ascen-
sion, which closed the earthly record of Jesus, he rose
above the physical knowledge of his disciples, and the
material senses saw him no more.
His students then received the Holy Ghost. By this is
meant, that by all they had witnessed and suffered, they
were roused to an enlarged understanding of divine Sci-
ence, even to the spiritual interpretation and discernment
of Jesus’ teachings and demonstrations, which gave them
a faint conception of the Life which is God.
- SH 53:16-18
- The world could not interpret aright the discomfort
which Jesus inspired and the spiritual blessings which
might flow from such discomfort.
- SH 54:8-17
- Who is ready to follow his teaching and example? All
must sooner or later plant themselves in Christ, the true
idea of God. That he might liberally pour
his dear-bought treasures into empty or sin-
filled human storehouses, was the inspiration of Jesus’
intense human sacrifice. In witness of his divine com-
mission, he presented the proof that Life, Truth, and
Love heal the sick and the sinning, and triumph over
death through Mind, not matter. This was the highest
proof he could have offered of divine Love.
- SH 298:8-10
- What is termed material sense can report only a mor-
tal temporary sense of things, whereas spiritual sense can
bear witness only to Truth.
- SH 122:1-7
- The evidence of the physical senses often reverses the
real Science of being, and so creates a reign of discord, –
assigning seeming power to sin, sickness, and
death; but the great facts of Life, rightly un-
derstood, defeat this triad of errors, contradict their false
witnesses, and reveal the kingdom of heaven, – the actual
reign of harmony on earth.
- SH 348:26-32
- I have never supposed the world would immediately
witness the full fruitage of Christian Science, or that sin,
disease, and death would not be believed for
an indefinite time; but this I do aver, that,
as a result of teaching Christian Science, ethics and
temperance have received all impulse, health has been
restored, and longevity increased.
- SH 134:14-26
- Man-made doctrines are waning. They have not waxed
strong in times of trouble. Devoid of the Christ-power,
how can they illustrate the doctrines of Christ
or the miracles of grace? Denial of the possi-
bility of Christian healing robs Christianity of the very
element, which gave it divine force and its astonishing and
unequalled success in the first century.
The true Logos is demonstrably Christian Science, the
natural law of harmony which overcomes discord, – not
because this Science is supernatural or pre-
ternatural, nor because it is an infraction of
divine law, but because it is the immutable law of God,
- SH 120:15-17
- Health is not a condition of matter, but of Mind; nor
can the material senses bear reliable testimony on the sub-
ject of health.
- SH 417:16
- When you silence the witness against your
plea, you destroy the evidence, for the disease disap-
pears. The evidence before the corporeal senses is not
the Science of immortal man.
- SH 202:6-13
- If men would bring to bear upon the study of the
Science of Mind half the faith they bestow upon the so-
called pains and pleasures of material sense,
they would not go on from bad to worse,
until disciplined by the prison and the scaffold; but
the whole human family would be redeemed through
the merits of Christ, – through the perception and ac-
ceptance of Truth.
- SH 451:16-18
- If our hopes and affec-
tions are spiritual, they come from above, not from be-
neath, and they bear as of old the fruits of the Spirit.
- SH 411:10-12
- If Spirit or the power of divine Love bear
witness to the truth, this is the ultimatum, the scientific
way, and the healing is instantaneous.
- SH 514:18-25
- Tenderness accompa-
nies all the might imparted by Spirit. The individ-
uality created by God is not carnivorous, as witness the
millennial estate pictured by Isaiah: –
The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
And the leopard shall lie down with the kid;
And the calf and the young lion, and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.
Job 16:19 behold
Luke 4:14-22 (to .)
John 18:37 To this
I John 1:2
Heb. 12:1, 2
Luke 4:14-22 (to .)
John 18:37 To this
I John 1:2
Heb. 12:1, 2
Hymns: 19, 333, 204