Wednesday Meeting 12-7-2016 First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville
The last chapter of Science and Health is Recapitulation. There are 24 questions. During December one question and answer can be studied each day before Christmas Day. This week’s readings draw from Q&A #1-7.
- KJV Isaiah 65:17 1st behold, 18-19
- 17 …behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
- KJV Isaiah 41:10-13, 15-16
- 10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 11 Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. 12 Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought. 13 For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. 15 Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: thou shalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff. 16 Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
- KJV Matt 3:1-2, 7 1st he (to 1st them), 11-12
- 1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 7 …he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
- KJV Matt 4:17
- 17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- KJV Matt 6:19-23
- 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.
- KJV Matt 7:15-20
- 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
- KJV Matt 13:24-30
- 24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
- KJV John 6:63
- 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
- KJV Gal 5:19-23, 25
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
- S&H 86:11
- Opposites come from contrary directions, and produce
- unlike results.
- S&H 270:5-10
- Matter and Mind are opposites. One is contrary to
the other in its very nature and essence; hence both can-
not be real. If one is real, the other must be unreal. Only
by understanding that there is but one power, – not two
powers, matter and Mind, – are scientific and logical
- S&H 276:25-32 (to non-intelligence
- Material beliefs and spiritual understanding never
mingle. The latter destroys the former. Discord is the
nothingness named error. Harmony is the somethingness
Nature and revelation inform us that like produces
like. Divine Science does not gather grapes
from thorns nor figs from thistles. Intelli-
gence never produces non-intelligence;
- S&H 277:6
- The immortal never produces the
mortal. Good cannot result in evil. As God Himself is
good and is Spirit, goodness and spirituality must be im-
mortal. Their opposites, evil and matter, are mortal
error, and error has no creator. If goodness and spirit-
uality are real, evil and materiality are unreal and can-
not be the outcome of an infinite God, good.
- S&H 356:15-18
- Jesus knew, “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh
There is neither a present nor an eternal copartner-
ship between error and Truth, between flesh and Spirit.
- S&H 595:5
- TARES. Mortality; error; sin; sickness; disease;
- S&H 586:6-7, 12
- FAN. Separator of fable from fact; that which gives
action to thought.
FIRE. Fear; remorse; lust; hatred; destruction; afflic-
tion purifying and elevating man.
- S&H 72:13
belief (the material sense of life) and immortal Truth
(the spiritual sense) are the tares and the wheat, which
are not united by progress, but separated.
The temporal and unreal never touch the eternal and real. The mutable and imperfect never touch the immutable and perfect. The inharmonious and self-destructive never touch the harmonious and self-existent. These opposite qualities are the tares and wheat, which never really mingle, though (to mortal sight) they grow side by side until the harvest; then, Science separates the wheat from the tares, through the realization of God as ever present and of man as reflecting the divine likeness.
- S&H 466:26-28
- The Science
of Christianity comes with fan in hand to separate the
chaff from the wheat.
- S&H 467:30 begin, 32
- …begin with Mind, which must be under-
stood through the idea which expresses it and
cannot be learned from its opposite, matter.
- S&H 466:8-16
- …these contrasting
pairs of terms represent contraries, as Chris-
tian Science reveals, which neither dwell together nor
assimilate. …mind and matter, life and death, truth and
error, good and evil; …Truth is immortal; error is mortal. Truth
is limitless; error is limited. Truth is intelligent; error
is non-intelligent. …Truth is real, and error is
- S&H 468:4-5, 11-13
…Truth is immortal, error must be mortal,
- …Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal.
- S&H 74:21-23
Darkness and light, infancy and manhood, sickness and health, are opposites,–different beliefs, which never blend.
- S&H 466:8-16
…matter has no place in Spirit, and Spirit has no place in matter. Truth has no home in error, and error has no foothold in Truth. Mind cannot pass into non-intelligence and matter, nor can non-intelligence become Soul. At no point can these opposites mingle or unite.
- S&H 406:11-13, 19-25
- The Science of being unveils the errors of sense, and
spiritual perception, aided by Science, reaches Truth.
Then error disappears.
Resist evil – error of every sort – and it will flee from
you. Error is opposed to Life. We can, and ultimately
shall, so rise as to avail ourselves in every direc-
tion of the supremacy of Truth over error, Life
over death, and good over evil, and this growth will go
on until we arrive at the fulness of God’s idea, and no
more fear that we shall be sick and die.
Isaiah 41:10-13, 15-16
Matt 3:1-2, 7 he (to them), 11-12
Gal 5:19-23, 25
276:25-32 (to non-intelligence;)
467:30 begin, 32
468:4-5 (to mortal,) 11-13
282:16 matter, (to unite.)
118…Holy Spirit, Light divine
135…I know no life divided
204…O Father, Thy kingdom is come upon earth