First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville, NC for Wednesday Meeting 11-30-2016
The last chapter of Science and Health is Recapitulation. There are 24 questions. Tomorrow is December 1, and 24 days till Christmas. Each day of Advent can be an opportunity to study Q and A. Tonight we have a head start with Question 1 and 2 as we consider the others during this time of Advent.
- S&H 465:8-10
- Question. – What is God?
Answer. – God is incorporeal, divine, supreme, infinite
Mind, Spirit, Soul, Principle, Life, Truth, Love.
- Bible Readings were read from the New Living Translation.
- KJV Ex 34:1, 5-6
- 1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest. 5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
- KJV Num 23:19
- 19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
- KJV Deut 6:4-5
- 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
- KJV Deut 10:17-18
- 17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: 18 He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
- KJV Deut 33:27 (to 1st thee)
- 27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee;
- KJV Ps 18:30-33
- 30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. 31 For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? 32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect. 33 He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
- KJV Ps 46:1-5
- 1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. 4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
- KJV Ps 62:5-8
- 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.
- KJV Isaiah 40:28-31
- 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
- KJV Isaiah 41:10
- 10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
- KJV Matt 22:32
- 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
- KJV John 4:24
- 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
- KJV I John 1:5
- 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- KJV I John 4:7-8, 16
- 7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
- KJV I Cor 4:20-21
- 20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. 21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?
- KJV II Cor 9:8-9
- 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
- KJV James 1:17
- 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- KJV I Peter 1:15-16
- 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
- S&H 465:11-15
- Question. – Are these terms synonymous?
Answer. – They are. They refer to one absolute God.
They are also intended to express the nature, essence, and
wholeness of Deity. The attributes of God are justice,
mercy, wisdom, goodness, and so on.
- S&H 116:20
- Christian Science strongly emphasizes the thought that
God is not corporeal, but incorporeal, – that is,
bodiless. Mortals are corporeal, but God is
- S&H 13:20-29
- If we pray to God as a corporeal person, this will
prevent us from relinquishing the human doubts and
fears which attend such a belief, and so we
cannot grasp the wonders wrought by infi-
nite, incorporeal Love, to whom all things are possible.
Because of human ignorance of the divine Principle,
Love, the Father of all is represented as a corporeal
creator; hence men recognize themselves as merely
physical, and are ignorant of man as God’s image or re-
flection and of man’s eternal incorporeal existence.
- S&H 204:3-15, 20
- All forms of error support the false conclusions that
there is more than one Life; that material history is as
real and living as spiritual history; that mortal
error is as conclusively mental as immortal
Truth; and that there are two separate, an-
tagonistic entities and beings, two powers, – namely,
Spirit and matter, – resulting in a third person (mortal
man) who carries out the delusions of sin, sickness, and
The first power is admitted to be good, an intelligence or
Mind called God. The so-called second power, evil, is the
unlikeness of good. It cannot therefore be mind, though so called.
- When will the ages under-
- stand the Ego, and realize only one God, one
Mind or intelligence?
- S&H 214:14
- When it is learned that the spirit-
ual sense, and not the material, conveys the impressions
of Mind to man, then being will be understood and found
to be harmonious.
- S&H 245:32-1
- The infinite never began nor will it ever end. Mind
and its formations can never be annihilated.
- S&H 257:30-31, 32-8
- It would require an infinite form to contain infinite
Finite man cannot be the image and
likeness of the infinite God. A mortal, corporeal, or
finite conception of God cannot embrace the glories of
limitless, incorporeal Life and Love. Hence
the unsatisfied human craving for something
better, higher, holier, than is afforded by a
material belief in a physical God and man. The insuffi-
ciency of this belief to supply the true idea proves the
falsity of material belief.
- S&H 258:13-16
- God expresses in man the infinite idea forever develop-
ing itself, broadening and rising higher and higher from
a boundless basis. Mind manifests all that exists in
the infinitude of Truth.
- S&H 262:30
- Divine Mind is the only cause
or Principle of existence. Cause does not exist in matter,
in mortal mind, or in physical forms.
- S&H 272:29
- God is the divine Principle of all that repre-
sents Him and of all that really exists. Chris-
tian Science, as demonstrated by Jesus, alone
reveals the natural, divine Principle of Science.
- S&H 273:10-12
- Divine Science reverses the false testimony of the ma-
terial senses, and thus tears away the foun-
dations of error.
- S&H 283:13-24
- But what say prevalent theories? They insist that
Life, or God, is one and the same with material life so-
called. They speak of both Truth and error as mind,
and of good and evil as spirit. They claim that to be
life which is but the objective state of material sense, –
such as the structural life of the tree and of material
man, – and deem this the manifestation of the one Life,
This false belief as to what really constitutes life so
detracts from God’s character and nature, that the true
sense of His power is lost to all who cling to
- S&H 285:17-31
- The time has come for a
finite conception of the infinite and of a ma-
terial body as the seat of Mind to give place
to a diviner sense of intelligence and its manifestations,
to the better understanding that Science gives of the
Supreme Being, or divine Principle, and idea.
By interpreting God as a corporeal Saviour but not as
the saving Principle, or divine Love, we shall continue
to seek salvation through pardon and not
through reform, and resort to matter instead
of Spirit for the cure of the sick. As mortals
reach, through knowledge of Christian Science, a higher
sense, they will seek to learn, not from matter, but from
the divine Principle, God, how to demonstrate the Christ,
Truth, as the healing and saving power.
- S&H 330:11-12
- I. God is infinite, the only Life, substance, Spirit, or
Soul, the only intelligence of the universe, including man.
- S&H 275:6, 14-19
- The starting-point of divine Science is
that God, Spirit, is All-in-all, and that there is no other
might nor Mind, – that God is Love, and therefore He
is divine Principle.
All substance, intelligence, wisdom, being, im-
mortality, cause, and effect belong to God. These are
His attributes, the eternal manifestations of the infinite
divine Principle, Love. No wisdom is wise but His
wisdom; no truth is true, no love is lovely, no life is Life
but the divine; no good is, but the good God bestows.
Deut 33:27 (to thee)
I John 1:5
I John 4:7-8, 16
I Cor 4:20-21
II Cor 9:8-9
I Peter 1:15-16465:8-10
281…Praise our great and gracious Lord
178…Love is life’s crown and glory
349…Thy will, almighty Father, Thine