First Church of Christ, Scientist, Asheville, NC, January 13, 2016
- KJV Matt 4:23 1st Jesus (to 1st kingdom)
- 23 …Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom,
- KJV Matt 5:17, 21, 22, 23, 24
- 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; …22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:… 23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
- KJV Matt 6:12 1st forgive
- 12 …forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
- KJV Ps 19:7-13
- 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. …cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
- KJV Ps 37:23
- 23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
- KJV Luke 5:18-26 (to 1st God)
- 18 …behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. 19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus. 20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? 22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? 23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? 24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. 25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God,
- KJV John 8:3-11
- 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
- KJV Romans 2:1
- 1 …thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
- KJV Romans 6:14
- 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you:
- KJV I John 2:7-12
- 7 …a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. 8 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 9 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 10 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes. 11 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name’s sake. 12 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
- KJV I John 5:4, 6 1st it, 9
- 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 6 …it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
- KJV John 8:12-16
- 12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. 13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. 14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
- KJV Isaiah 43:10, 12 1st ye
- 10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 12 …ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
- S&H 192:17
- Moral and spiritual might belong to Spirit, who holds
the “wind in His fists;” and this teaching accords with
Science and harmony. In Science, you can
have no power opposed to God, and the physi-
cal senses must give up their false testimony. Your in-
fluence for good depends upon the weight you throw into
the right scale. The good you do and embody gives you
the only power obtainable. Evil is not power. It is a
mockery of strength, which erelong betrays its weakness
and falls, never to rise.
- S&H 122:1-9 (to Jesus;)
- The evidence of the physical senses often reverses the
real Science of being, and so creates a reign of discord, –
assigning seeming power to sin, sickness, and
death; but the great facts of Life, rightly un-
derstood, defeat this triad of errors, contradict their false
witnesses, and reveal the kingdom of heaven, – the actual
reign of harmony on earth. The material senses’ re-
versal of the Science of Soul was practically exposed nine-
teen hundred years ago by the demonstrations of Jesus;
- S&H 233:1
- Every day makes its demands upon us for
higher proofs rather than professions of Christian power.
These proofs consist solely in the destruction
of sin, sickness, and death by the power of
Spirit, as Jesus destroyed them. This is an element of
progress, and progress is the law of God, whose law de-
mands of us only what we can certainly fulfil.
- S&H 296:4 only
- Progress is born of experience.
- S&H 329:7
- Because you cannot walk on the
water and raise the dead, you have no right to
question the great might of divine Science in these direc-
tions. Be thankful that Jesus, who was the true demon-
strator of Science, did these things, and left his example for
us. In Science we can use only what we understand. We
must prove our faith by demonstration.
- S&H 326:23
- Saul of Tarsus beheld the way – the Christ, or Truth
– only when his uncertain sense of right yielded to a
spiritual sense, which is always right. Then
the man was changed. Thought assumed a
nobler outlook, and his life became more spiritual. He
learned the wrong that he had done in persecuting Chris-
tians, whose religion he had not understood, and in hu-
mility he took the new name of Paul. He beheld for the
first time the true idea of Love, and learned a lesson in
- S&H 327:23-24
- Moral courage is requisite to meet the wrong and to
proclaim the right.
- S&H 381:24
- The har-
mony and immortality of man will never be reached
without the understanding that Mind is not in matter.
Let us banish sickness as an outlaw, and abide by the
rule of perpetual harmony, – God’s law. It is man’s
moral right to annul an unjust sentence, a sentence never
inflicted by divine authority.
- S&H 11:1
- Jesus’ prayer,
“Forgive us our debts,” specified also the terms of
forgiveness. When forgiving the adulterous woman he
said, “Go, and sin no more.”
- S&H 475:28-1
real man cannot depart from holiness, nor
can God, by whom man is evolved, engender
the capacity or freedom to sin. A mortal sinner is not
- S&H 447:30-32
- A sinner is afraid to cast the first stone. He may
say, as a subterfuge, that evil is unreal, but to know it,
he must demonstrate his statement.
- S&H 446:11-15, 18-25
- Whoever practises the Science the author teaches,
through which Mind pours light and healing upon this
generation, can practise on no one from sin-
ister or malicious motives without destroying
his own power to heal and his own health.
A wrong motive involves defeat. In the Science
of Mind-healing, it is imperative to be honest, for victory
rests on the side of immutable right. To understand
God strengthens hope, enthrones faith in Truth, and
verifies Jesus’ word: “Lo, I am with you alway, even
unto the end of the world.”
Resisting evil, you overcome it and prove its nothing-
- S&H 447:16-27
- When sin or sickness –
the reverse of harmony – seems true to material sense,
impart without frightening or discouraging the pa-
tient the truth and spiritual understanding, which de-
stroy disease. Expose and denounce the claims of
evil and disease in all their forms, but realize no
reality in them. A sinner is not reformed merely
by assuring him that he cannot be a sinner because
there is no sin. To put down the claim of sin,
you must detect it, remove the mask, point out the
illusion, and thus get the victory over sin and so prove
- S&H 453:16-20
- Honesty is spiritual power. Dishonesty is
human weakness, which forfeits divine help.
You uncover sin, not in order to injure, but in order
to bless the corporeal man; and a right motive has
- S&H 454:19-21
- Right motives
give pinions to thought, and strength and freedom to
speech and action.
- S&H 113:5-6
- The vital part,
the heart and soul of Christian Science, is Love.
- S&H 390:32-4
- Rise in the conscious strength of the
spirit of Truth to overthrow the plea of mortal mind,
alias matter, arrayed against the supremacy of Spirit.
Blot out the images of mortal thought and its beliefs in
sickness and sin.
- S&H 492:7-13, 14-17
- Being is holiness, harmony, immortality. It is already
proved that a knowledge of this, even in small degree,
will uplift the physical and moral standard
of mortals, will increase longevity, will purify
and elevate character. Thus progress will finally destroy
all error, and bring immortality to light. We know that
a statement proved to be good must be correct.
contradictory theories – that matter is something, or
that all is Mind – will dispute the ground, until one is
acknowledged to be the victor.
- S&H 521:12 only
- The harmony and immortality of man are intact.
Matt 5:17, 21, 22, 23, 24
Matt 6:12 forgivePs 19:7-13
Luke 5:18-26 (to God)
I John 2:7-12
I John 5:4, 6 it, 9
Isaiah 43:10, 12 ye
122:1-9 (to Jesus;)
451…0, sometimes gleams upon our sight
408…Prayer with our waking thought ascends
438…Father, we Thy loving children