- KJV Gen 3:8-10
- 8 …they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. 9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? 10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
- KJV Ps 121:1-3, 5, 7-8
- 1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. 2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. 3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. 5 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. 7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. 8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
- KJV Prov 3:5-7, 13-20
- 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. 13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. 14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. 19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. 20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.
- KJV Isaiah 1:16-18
- 16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; 17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. 18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
- KJV Matt 6:19-25
- 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. 24 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 25 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
- KJV John 9:1-7
- 1 …as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.
- KJV Hebrews 11:1-3
- 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
- S&H 476:32-7
- Jesus beheld in Science the per-
fect man, who appeared to him where sinning mortal
man appears to mortals. In this perfect man the Saviour
saw God’s own likeness, and this correct view of man
healed the sick. Thus Jesus taught that the kingdom
of God is intact, universal, and that man is pure and holy.
Man is not a material habitation for Soul; he is himself
- S&H 495:15
- Allow nothing but His
likeness to abide in your thought. Let neither
fear nor doubt overshadow your clear sense and
calm trust, that the recognition of life harmonious – as
Life eternally is – can destroy any painful sense of, or
belief in, that which Life is not. Let Christian Science,
instead of corporeal sense, support your understanding of
being, and this understanding will supplant error with
Truth, replace mortality with immortality, and silence dis-
cord with harmony.
- S&H 487:13 Who, 16-23
- Who or what is it
Matter cannot believe, and Mind
understands. The body cannot believe. The
believer and belief are one and are mortal.
Christian evidence is founded on Science or
demonstrable Truth, flowing from immortal Mind, and
there is in reality no such thing as mortal mind. Mere
belief is blindness without Principle from which to ex-
plain the reason of its hope.
- S&H 488:7
- The Hebrew and Greek words often translated belief
differ somewhat in meaning from that conveyed by the
English verb believe; they have more the sig-
nificance of faith, understanding, trust, con-
stancy, firmness. Hence the Scriptures often appear in
our common version to approve and endorse belief, when
they mean to enforce the necessity of understanding.
- S&H 455:3
- A mental state of self-condemnation and guilt or a
faltering and doubting trust in Truth are unsuitable
conditions for healing the sick. Such mental
states indicate weakness instead of strength.
Hence the necessity of being right yourself in order to
teach this Science of healing. You must utilize the moral
might of Mind in order to walk over the waves of error
and support your claims by demonstration. If you are
yourself lost in the belief and fear of disease or sin, and
if, knowing the remedy, you fail to use the energies of
Mind in your own behalf, you can exercise little or no
power for others’ help. “First cast out the beam out
of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast
out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.”
- S&H 181:21-31
- If you are too material to love the Science of Mind and
are satisfied with good words instead of effects, if you
adhere to error and are afraid to trust Truth,
the question then recurs, “Adam, where art
thou?” It is unnecessary to resort to aught besides
Mind in order to satisfy the sick that you are doing some-
thing for them, for if they are cured, they generally know
it and are satisfied.
“Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
If you have more faith in drugs than in Truth, this faith
will incline you to the side of matter and error.
- S&H 182:1
- The act
of healing the sick through divine Mind alone, of casting
out error with Truth, shows your position as a Christian
- S&H 169:18-26, 29-2
- Science not only reveals the origin of all disease as
mental, but it also declares that all disease is cured by
divine Mind. There can be no healing ex-
cept by this Mind, however much we trust
a drug or any other means towards which human faith
or endeavor is directed. It is mortal mind, not mat-
ter, which brings to the sick whatever good they may
seem to receive from materiality. But the sick are never
really healed except by means of the divine power.
Whatever teaches man to have other laws and to
acknowledge other powers than the divine
Mind, is anti-Christian. The good that a
poisonous drug seems to do is evil, for it robs man of
reliance on God, omnipotent Mind, and according to be-
lief, poisons the human system.
- S&H 170:4, 14
- The discord which calls for material
methods is the result of the exercise of faith in material
modes, – faith in matter instead of in Spirit.
The demands of Truth are spiritual, and reach the
body through Mind. The best interpreter of man’s needs
said: “Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat,
or what ye shall drink.”
- S&H 20:14
- Jesus bore our infirmities; he knew the error of mortal
belief, and “with his stripes [the rejection of error] we are
healed.” “Despised and rejected of men,”
returning blessing for cursing, he taught mor-
tals the opposite of themselves, even the nature of God;
and when error felt the power of Truth, the scourge and
the cross awaited the great Teacher. Yet he swerved not,
well knowing that to obey the divine order and trust God,
saves retracing and traversing anew the path from sin to
- S&H 145:8-17
- The struggle for the recovery of invalids goes on, not
between material methods, but between mortal minds
and immortal Mind. The victory will be on
the patient’s side only as immortal Mind
through Christ, Truth, subdues the human belief in
disease. It matters not what material method one may
adopt, whether faith in drugs, trust in hygiene, or reliance
on some other minor curative.
Scientific healing has this advantage over other meth-
ods, – that in it Truth controls error.
Ps 121:1-3, 5, 7-8
Prov 3:5-7, 13-20
487:13 Who, 16-23
402…How gentle God’s commands
139…I walk with Love along the way
189…Mine eyes look toward the mountains