First Church of Christ, Scientist, Asheville, NC
- KJV Ps 100:3 (to 1st ourselves;)
- 3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
- KJV Ps 8:4-6
- 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
- KJV Ps 36:7
- 7 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
- KJV Ps 91:1-16
- 1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. 3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. 5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. 7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. 9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. 12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. 13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. 14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. 15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
- KJV Proverbs 3:5, 6
- 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- KJV Matt 4:1, 5-7
- 1 Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
- KJV James 4:7, 8 (to 1st you.)
- 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.
- KJV Ps 91:1-6, 9-11, 14-16 (NLT)
- Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
- The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.”
- S&H 444:10
- Step by
step will those who trust Him find that “God is our refuge
and strength, a very present help in trouble.
- S&H 530:5-6
- In divine Science, man is sustained by God, the divine
Principle of being.
- S&H 78:28
- Spirit blesses man, but man cannot “tell whence
it cometh.” By it the sick are healed, the sorrowing are
comforted, and the sinning are reformed. These are the
effects of one universal God, the invisible good dwelling
in eternal Science.
- S&H 124:25-26
- Spirit is the life, substance, and continuity of all
- S&H 192:30-31
- Whatever holds human thought in line with unselfed
love, receives directly the divine power.
- S&H 249:6-9
- Let us feel the divine energy of Spirit, bringing us into
newness of life and recognizing no mortal nor
material power as able to destroy. Let us re-
joice that we are subject to the divine “powers that be.”
- S&H 79:23-3
- The unscientific practitioner says: “You are ill. Your
brain is overtaxed, and you must rest. Your body is
weak, and it must be strengthened. You have
nervous prostration, and must be treated for it.”
Science objects to all this, contending for the rights of in-
telligence and asserting that Mind controls body and brain.
Mind-science teaches that mortals need “not be weary
in well doing.” It dissipates fatigue in doing
good. Giving does not impoverish us in the
service of our Maker, neither does withholding enrich us.
We have strength in proportion to our apprehension of
the truth, and our strength is not lessened by giving
utterance to truth.
- S&H 385:7-11, 17-18
- The spiritual
demand, quelling the material, supplies energy and en-
durance surpassing all other aids, and forestalls the
penalty which our beliefs would attach to our best
Whatever it is your duty to do,
you can do without harm to yourself.
- S&H 368:10
- Against the fatal beliefs that error is as real as Truth,
that evil is equal in power to good if not superior, and that
discord is as normal as harmony, even the hope
of freedom from the bondage of sickness and
sin has little inspiration to nerve endeavor. When we
come to have more faith in the truth of being than we have
in error, more faith in Spirit than in matter, more faith
in living than in dying, more faith in God than in man,
then no material suppositions can prevent us from healing
the sick and destroying error.
- S&H 390:32-6
- Rise in the conscious strength of the
spirit of Truth to overthrow the plea of mortal mind,
alias matter, arrayed against the supremacy of Spirit.
Blot out the images of mortal thought and its beliefs in
sickness and sin. Then, when thou art delivered to the
judgment of Truth, Christ, the judge will say, “Thou
- S&H 581:4
- ANGELS. God’s thoughts passing to man; spiritual
intuitions, pure and perfect; the inspiration of goodness,
purity, and immortality, counteracting all evil, sensuality,
- S&H 299:12
- These upward-soaring beings
never lead towards self, sin, or materiality, but guide to
the divine Principle of all good, whither every real indi-
viduality, image, or likeness of God, gathers. By giving
earnest heed to these spiritual guides they tarry with us,
and we entertain “angels unawares.”
- S&H 15:14-18, 20-21
- In order to pray aright, we must enter into the
closet and shut the door. We must close the lips and
silence the material senses. In the quiet
sanctuary of earnest longings, we must
deny sin and plead God’s allness.
must “pray without ceasing.”
- S&H 17:4-5
- Give us this day our daily bread;
_Give us grace for to-day; feed the famished affections;
- S&H 1:1-4
- The prayer that reforms the sinner and heals the
sick is an absolute faith that all things are
possible to God,- a spiritual understanding of Him,
an unselfed love.
Matt 4:1, 5-7
James 4:7,8 (to you.)
Ps 91:1-6, 9-11, 14-16 NLT
436 Come gracious Spirit
192 Nearer, my God, to Thee
99 He that hath God his guardian made (adaption of Psalm 91)