Several members and friends of this church are helping Habitat for Humanity on the yearly Interfaith Build to construct a home, during this Fall, for a neighbor in the Asheville community. In support of this activity, tonight’s readings will focus on “Home.”
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Asheville, NC
- KJV Matt 8:19, 20
- 19 …a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. 20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
- KJV Luke 17:20, 21
- 20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
- KJV Mark 6:30-38, 41-44
- 30 …the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught. 31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. 32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately. 33 And the people saw them departing, and many knew him, and ran afoot thither out of all cities, and outwent them, and came together unto him. 34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things. 35 And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came unto him, and said, This is a desert place, and now the time is far passed: 36 Send them away, that they may go into the country round about, and into the villages, and buy themselves bread: for they have nothing to eat. 37 He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread, and give them to eat? 38 He saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? go and see. And when they knew, they say, Five, and two fishes. 41 And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. 42 And they did all eat, and were filled. 43 And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes. 44 And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men.
- KJV Ps 91:1-4
- 1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. 3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
- KJV Ps 139:7-10, 13, 14
- 7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
- KJV Jeremiah 29:11-14 (to 1st Lord:)
- 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD:
- KJV Proverbs 24:3, 4
- 3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: 4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
- KJV Ps 23:1-6
- 1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
- KJV Ps 84:2-4 (to 1st house:)
- 2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. 3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. 4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house:
- S&H 494:10-15
- Divine Love always has met and always will meet every
human need. It is not well to imagine that Jesus demon-
strated the divine power to heal only for a select number
or for a limited period of time, since to all mankind and
in every hour, divine Love supplies all good.
The miracle of grace is no miracle to Love.
- S&H 224:31 only
- No power can withstand divine Love.
- S&H 228:25-27
- There is no power apart from God. Omnipotence has
all-power, and to acknowledge any other power is to dis-
- S&H 473:8-10
- God is every-
where, and nothing apart from Him is present or has
- S&H 467:13
- Having no other gods,
turning to no other but the one perfect Mind to guide
him, man is the likeness of God, pure and eternal, hav-
ing that Mind which was also in Christ.
- S&H 304:9-14, 16-19, 20-21
- This is the doctrine of Christian
Science: that divine Love cannot be deprived of its
manifestation, or object; that joy cannot be turned into
sorrow, for sorrow is not the master of joy; that good can
never produce evil; that matter can never produce mind
nor life result in death.
Harmony is produced by its Principle, is controlled
by it and abides with it. Divine Principle is the Life
of man. Man’s happiness is not, therefore, at
the disposal of physical sense.
Harmony in man is as beautiful
as in music, and discord is unnatural, unreal.
- S&H 249:31-32
- Man is the reflection of Soul. He is the direct oppo-
site of material sensation, and there is but one Ego.
- S&H 250:6-7, 28
- Mortal existence is a dream; mortal existence has no
real entity, but saith “It is I.”
Upon this stage of existence goes on the dance of mortal
mind. Mortal thoughts chase one another like snowflakes,
and drift to the ground. Science reveals Life as not being
at the mercy of death, nor will Science admit that happi-
ness is ever the sport of circumstance.
- S&H 121:12
we have goodness and beauty to gladden the heart; but
man, left to the hypotheses of material sense unexplained
by Science, is as the wandering comet or the desolate
star – “a weary searcher for a viewless home.”
- S&H 7:23
- God is not influenced by man. The “di-
vine ear” is not an auditory nerve. It is the all-hearing
and all-knowing Mind, to whom each need of man is
always known and by whom it will be supplied.
- S&H 206:15
- In the scientific relation of God to man, we find that
whatever blesses one blesses all, as Jesus showed with
the loaves and the fishes, – Spirit, not matter, being the
source of supply.
- S&H 57:18
- Happiness is spiritual,
born of Truth and Love. It is unselfish; therefore
it cannot exist alone, but requires all mankind to
- S&H 285:3
- This Science of being obtains not
alone hereafter in what men call Paradise, but here
and now; it is the great fact of being for time and
- S&H 576:21
- This kingdom of God “is within you,” – is within
reach of man’s consciousness here, and the spiritual
idea reveals it. In divine Science, man possesses this
recognition of harmony consciously in proportion to his
understanding of God.
- S&H 91:5
- Let us rid ourselves of the belief that man is separated
from God, and obey only the divine principle, Life and
Love. Here is the great point of departure for all true
- S&H 66:13
- Each successive stage of experience unfolds new views of divine
goodness and love.
- S&H 578:4-17
- [DIVINE LOVE] is my shepherd; I shall not want.
[LOVE] maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
[LOVE] leadeth me beside the still waters.
[LOVE] restoreth my soul [spiritual sense]: [Love] lead-
eth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of
death, I will fear no evil: for [LOVE] is with me; [LOVE’s]
rod and [LOVE’S] staff they comfort me.
[LOVE] prepareth a table before me in the presence of
mine enemies: [LOVE] anointeth my head with oil; my cup
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of
my life; and I will dwell in the house [the consciousness]
of [LOVE] for ever.
Jeremiah 29:11-14 (to Lord:)
Ps 84:2-4 (to house:)
304:9-14, 16-19, 20-21
278 Pilgrim on earth
144 In atmosphere of Love divine
212 O gentle presence