Readings, Second Church Berkeley, 5/18/16
- SH Matt. 8:1-4
- 1 When Jesus was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. 2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. 3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
- SH Matt. 14:15-21
- 15 And when it was evening, his disciples came to him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves victuals. 16 But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat. 17 And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. 18 He said, Bring them hither to me. 19 And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. 20 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full. 21 And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.
- SH Luke 4:33-36
- 33 And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, 34 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God. 35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. 36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.
- SH John 5:19, 31, 33, 36
- 19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. 31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. 33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
- SH John 14:11-14
- 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake. 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
- SH 268:1-9
- In the material world, thought has brought to light
with great rapidity many useful wonders. With
like activity have thought’s swift pinions been rising
towards the realm of the real, to the spiritual
cause of those lower things which give im-
pulse to inquiry. Belief in a material basis, from
which may be deduced all rationality, is slowly yielding
to the idea of a metaphysical basis, looking away from
matter to Mind as the cause of every effect.
- SH 313:23-26
- Jesus of Nazareth was the most scientific man that
ever trod the globe. He plunged beneath the material
surface of things, and found the spiritual
- SH 273:21
- God never ordained a material law to annul the spiritual
law. If there were such a material law, it would oppose
the supremacy of Spirit, God, and impugn the
wisdom of the creator. Jesus walked on the
waves, fed the multitude, healed the sick, and raised the
dead in direct opposition to material laws. His acts were
the demonstration of Science, overcoming the false claims
of material sense or law.
- SH 274:7-17
- Natural science, as it is commonly called, is
not really natural nor scientific, because it is deduced from
the evidence of the material senses. Ideas, on the con-
trary, are born of Spirit, and are not mere inferences
drawn from material premises.
The senses of Spirit abide in Love, and they demon-
strate Truth and Life. Hence Christianity and the Sci-
ence which expounds it are based on spiritual
understanding, and they supersede the so-
called laws of matter. Jesus demonstrated this great
- SH 546:31-8
- If mathematics should present a thousand different
examples of one rule, the proving of one example would
authenticate all the others. A simple statement of Chris-
tian Science, if demonstrated by healing, contains the
proof of all here said of Christian Science. If
one of the statements in this book is true, every
one must be true, for not one departs from the stated sys-
tem and rule. You can prove for yourself, dear reader,
the Science of healing, and so ascertain if the author has
given you the correct interpretation of Scripture.
- SH 84:28-1
- All we correctly know of Spirit comes from God, divine
Principle, and is learned through Christ and Christian
Science. If this Science has been thoroughly
learned and properly digested, we can know
the truth more accurately than the astronomer can read
the stars or calculate an eclipse.
- SH 109:4-10, 16-22
- Christian Science reveals incontrovertibly that Mind
is All-in-all, that the only realities are the divine Mind
and idea. This great fact is not, however, seen
to be supported by sensible evidence, until its
divine Principle is demonstrated by healing the sick and
thus proved absolute and divine. This proof once seen,
no other conclusion can be reached.
the Principle of all harmonious Mind-action to be God,
and that cures were produced in primitive Christian
healing by holy, uplifting faith; but I must know the
Science of this healing, and I won my way to absolute
conclusions through divine revelation, reason, and dem-
- SH 108:12
- My conclusions were reached by allowing the evidence
of this revelation to multiply with mathematical certainty
and the lesser demonstration to prove the
greater, as the product of three multiplied by
three, equalling nine, proves conclusively that three times
three duodecillions must be nine duodecillions, – not
a fraction more, not a unit less.
- SH 111:11-14
- The Principle of divine metaphysics
is God; the practice of divine metaphysics is the utiliza-
tion of the power of Truth over error; its rules demon-
strate its Science.
- SH 496:15
- Hold perpetually this thought, – that it is the spiritual
idea, the Holy Ghost and Christ, which enables you to
demonstrate, with scientific certainty, the rule of healing,
based upon its divine Principle, Love, underlying, over-
lying, and encompassing all true being.
Matt. 9:27-30 (to ;)
John 5:19, 31, 33, 36
SH 109:4-10, 16-22
Matt. 9:27-30 (to ;)
John 5:19, 31, 33, 36
SH 109:4-10, 16-22
221 O Jesus, our dear Master
345 Thou living light of pentecostal glory
197 Now sweeping down the years untold