Readings for Wed., 12/21/16, 2nd Church, Berkeley
- KJV Deut. 32:11, 12
- 11 As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: 12 So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.
- KJV Ex. 1:8, 9, 15-17, 22
- 8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph. 9 And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of Israel are more and mightier than we: 15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah: 16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it be a daughter, then she shall live. 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive. 22 And Pharaoh charged all his people, saying, Every son that is born ye shall cast into the river, and every daughter ye shall save alive.
- KJV Ex. 2:1-10
- 1 And there went a man of the house of Levi, and took to wife a daughter of Levi. 2 And the woman conceived, and bare a son: and when she saw him that he was a goodly child, she hid him three months. 3 And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river’s brink. 4 And his sister stood afar off, to wit what would be done to him. 5 And the daughter of Pharaoh came down to wash herself at the river; and her maidens walked along by the river’s side; and when she saw the ark among the flags, she sent her maid to fetch it. 6 And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews’ children. 7 Then said his sister to Pharaoh’s daughter, Shall I go and call to thee a nurse of the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for thee? 8 And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, Go. And the maid went and called the child’s mother. 9 And Pharaoh’s daughter said unto her, Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. And the women took the child, and nursed it. 10 And the child grew, and she brought him unto Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water.
- KJV Isa. 66:12 1st thus (to 1st ,), 13
- 12 …thus saith the LORD, 13 As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
- KJV Mark 1:14 1st Jesus, 29-31
- 14 …Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 29 And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her. 31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
- KJV Mark 3:31-35
- 31 There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. 32 And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. 33 And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? 34 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
- KJV Luke 7:11-15
- 11 And it came to pass the day after, that he went into a city called Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people. 12 Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her. 13 And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. 14 And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. 15 And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.
- KJV John 19:25-27
- 25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
- KJV 592:16-17
- MOTHER. God; divine and eternal Principle; Life,
Truth, and Love.
- KJV 331:26-31 Life
- Life, Truth, and Love constitute the triune Person
called God, – that is, the triply divine Principle, Love.
They represent a trinity in unity, three in
one, – the same in essence, though multi-
form in office: God the Father-Mother; Christ the spirit-
ual idea of sonship;
- KJV 508:9-25
- Gen. 1:12. And the earth brought forth grass, and
herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding
fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw
that it was good.
God determines the gender of His own ideas. Gen-
der is mental, not material. The seed within itself is
the pure thought emanating from divine
Mind. The feminine gender is not yet ex-
pressed in the text. Gender means simply kind or sort,
and does not necessarily refer either to masculinity or
femininity. The word is not confined to sexuality, and
grammars always recognize a neuter gender, neither
male nor female. The Mind or intelligence of produc-
tion names the female gender last in the ascending order
of creation. The intelligent individual idea, be it male
or female, rising from the lesser to the greater, unfolds
the infinitude of Love.
- KJV 511:19-28
- Gen. 1:20. And God said, Let the waters bring forth
abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl
that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of
To mortal mind, the universe is liquid, solid, and aeri-
form. Spiritually interpreted, rocks and mountains stand
for solid and grand ideas. Animals and mor-
tals metaphorically present the gradation of
mortal thought, rising in the scale of intelligence, taking
form in masculine, feminine, or neuter gender.
- KJV 517:8
- The ideal man
corresponds to creation, to intelligence, and to Truth.
The ideal woman corresponds to Life and to Love. In
divine Science, we have not as much authority for con-
sidering God masculine, as we have for considering
Him feminine, for Love imparts the clearest idea of
- KJV 463:6
- To attend properly
the birth of the new child, or divine idea,
you should so detach mortal thought from its
material conceptions, that the birth will be natural and
safe. Though gathering new energy, this idea cannot
injure its useful surroundings in the travail of spiritual
birth. A spiritual idea has not a single element of error,
and this truth removes properly whatever is offensive.
The new idea, conceived and born of Truth and Love, is
clad in white garments. Its beginning will be meek, its
growth sturdy, and its maturity undecaying. When
this new birth takes place, the Christian Science infant
is born of the Spirit, born of God, and can cause the
mother no more suffering. By this we know that Truth
is here and has fulfilled its perfect work.
- KJV 568:30-3
- Self-abnegation, by which
we lay down all for Truth, or Christ, in our warfare against
error, is a rule in Christian Science. This rule clearly
interprets God as divine Principle, – as Life, represented
by the Father; as Truth, represented by the Son; as Love,
represented by the Mother.
- KJV 577:32-18
- In the following Psalm one word shows, though faintly,
the light which Christian Science throws on the Scriptures
by substituting for the corporeal sense, the incorporeal
or spiritual sense of Deity: –
[DIVINE LOVE] is my shepherd; I shall not want.
[LOVE] maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
[LOVE] leadeth me beside the still waters.
[LOVE] restoreth my soul [spiritual sense]: [Love] lead-
eth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of
death, I will fear no evil: for [LOVE] is with me; [LOVE’s]
rod and [LOVE’S] staff they comfort me.
[LOVE] prepareth a table before me in the presence of
mine enemies: [LOVE] anointeth my head with oil; my cup
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of
my life; and I will dwell in the house [the consciousness]
of [LOVE] for ever.
Deut. 32:11, 12
Ex. 1:8, 9, 15-17, 22
Isa. 66:12 thus (to 1st ,), 13
Mark 1:14 Jesus, 29-31
SH 331:26-31 Life
174 Like as a mother, God comforteth His children
76 God is known in loving-kindness
362 To us a child of hope is born
Wednesday Meeting 12-21-2016, First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville
The last chapter of Science and Health is Recapitulation. There are 24 questions. During December one question and answer can be studied each day before Christmas Day. This week’s readings draw from Q&A #15-24.
Readings from NRSV
- KJV Romans 8:28
- 28 …we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- KJV John 3:1-8
- 1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
- KJV John 3:14-15
- 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- KJV John 11:1, 3-4, 7 (to 1st disciples,), 11-15, 17, 21-28, 32-35, 38-44
- 1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. 3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick. 4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby. 7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, 11 …Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. 12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. 13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. 14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him. 17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already. 21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. 23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. 24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. 25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? 27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. 28 And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. 32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. 34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. 35 Jesus wept. 38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. 39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. 40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? 41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. 42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. 43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. 44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
- KJV 2 Peter 3:1-2, 8-9, 14-18
- 1This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever.
- S&H 4:17-22
- Simply asking that we may love God will never
make us love Him; but the longing to be better
and holier, expressed in daily watchful-
ness and in striving to assimilate more of
the divine character, will mould and fashion us
anew, until we awake in His likeness.
- S&H 230:6
- This awakening is the for-
ever coming of Christ, the advanced appearing of Truth,
which casts out error and heals the sick. This is the sal-
vation which comes through God, the divine Principle,
Love, as demonstrated by Jesus.
- S&H 136:1-2, 32
- Jesus established his church and maintained his mission
on a spiritual foundation of Christ-healing.
Jesus patiently persisted in
teaching and demonstrating the truth of being. His stu-
dents saw this power of Truth heal the sick, cast out evil,
raise the dead; but the ultimate of this wonderful work
was not spiritually discerned, even by them, until after the
crucifixion, when their immaculate Teacher stood before
them, the victor over sickness, sin, disease, death, and
- S&H 539:27-1
- The divine origin of Jesus gave him more than human
power to expound the facts of creation, and demonstrate
the one Mind which makes and governs man
and the universe. The Science of creation,
so conspicuous in the birth of Jesus inspired his wisest
and least-understood sayings, and was the basis of his
- S&H 548:9
- How little light or heat reach our earth when clouds
cover the sun’s face! So Christian Science can be seen
only as the clouds of corporeal sense roll away.
Earth has little light or joy for mortals before
Life is spiritually learned. Every agony of mortal error
helps error to destroy error, and so aids the apprehension
of immortal Truth. This is the new birth going on
hourly, by which men may entertain angels, the true
ideas of God, the spiritual sense of being.
- S&H 597:27-29
- WIND. That which indicates the might of omnipo-
tence and the movements of God’s spiritual government,
encompassing all things.
- S&H 598:1-10
- The Greek word for wind (pneuma) is used also for
spirit, as in the passage in John’s Gospel, the third chap-
ter, where we read: “The wind [pneuma] bloweth where
it listeth. . . . So is every one that is born of the Spirit
[pneuma].” Here the original word is the same in both
cases, yet it has received different translations, as in other
passages in this same chapter and elsewhere in the New
Testament. This shows how our Master had constantly
to employ words of material significance in order to unfold
- S&H 493:17-4
- Mind must be found superior to all the beliefs of the
five corporeal senses, and able to destroy all ills. Sick-
ness is a belief, which must be annihilated by
the divine Mind. Disease is an experience of
so-called mortal mind. It is fear made manifest on the
body. Christian Science takes away this physical sense
of discord, just as it removes any other sense of moral or
mental inharmony. That man is material, and that mat-
ter suffers, – these propositions can only seem real and
natural in illusion. Any sense of soul in matter is not the
reality of being.
If Jesus awakened Lazarus from the dream, illusion, of
death, this proved that the Christ could improve on a false
sense. Who dares to doubt this consummate test of the
power and willingness of divine Mind to hold man forever
intact in his perfect state, and to govern man’s entire
action? Jesus said: “Destroy this temple [body], and
in three days I [Mind] will raise it up;” and he did this
for tired humanity’s reassurance.
- S&H 494:19
- Reason, rightly di-
rected, serves to correct the errors of corporeal sense; but
sin, sickness, and death will seem real (even as the ex-
periences of the sleeping dream seem real) until the Sci-
ence of man’s eternal harmony breaks their illusion with
the unbroken reality of scientific being.
- S&H 495:14
- When the illusion of sickness or sin tempts you, cling
steadfastly to God and His idea. Allow nothing but His
likeness to abide in your thought. Let neither
fear nor doubt overshadow your clear sense and
calm trust, that the recognition of life harmonious – as
Life eternally is – can destroy any painful sense of, or
belief in, that which Life is not. Let Christian Science,
instead of corporeal sense, support your understanding of
being, and this understanding will supplant error with
Truth, replace mortality with immortality, and silence dis-
cord with harmony.
- S&H 428:3 only
- Life is real, and death is the illusion.
- S&H 150:4
- To-day the healing power of Truth is widely demon-
strated as an immanent, eternal Science, instead of a
phenomenal exhibition. Its appearing is the
coming anew of the gospel of “on earth peace,
good-will toward men.” This coming, as was promised
by the Master, is for its establishment as a permanent
dispensation among men; but the mission of Christian
Science now, as in the time of its earlier demonstration,
is not primarily one of physical healing. Now, as then,
signs and wonders are wrought in the metaphysical heal-
ing of physical disease; but these signs are only to demon-
strate its divine origin, – to attest the reality of the higher
mission of the Christ-power to take away the sins of the
John 11:1, 3-4, 7 (to disciples,), 11-15, 17, 21-28, 32-35, 38-44
2 Peter 3:1-2, 8-9, 14-184:17-22
123…How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord
362…To us a Child of Hope is born
368…Watchman, tell us of the night
Readings for 12/14/16, 2nd Church Berkeley
- KJV Prov. 10:18
- 18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
- KJV Prov. 10:12
- 12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
- KJV I Cor. 13:13 1st now
- 13 …now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
- KJV Matt. 5:1, 2, 43-45
- 1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: 2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, 43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
¶ No man can serve two masters: for either he
will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and
despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- KJV Matt. 24:3-13
- 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
- KJV Luke 6:22, 23 (to 2nd :)
- 22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake. 23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven:
- KJV John 15:17, 18
- 17 These things I command you, that ye love one another. 18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
- KJV I John 3:13, 14 (to 1st .)
- 13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you. 14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.
- KJV Gal. 5:1, 16 1st walk, 19-23
- 1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
- KJV 178:18-27
- Mortal mind, acting from the basis of sensation in
matter, is animal magnetism; but this so-called mind,
from which comes all evil, contradicts itself,
and must finally yield to the eternal Truth, or
the divine Mind, expressed in Science. In pro-
portion to our understanding of Christian Science, we are
freed from the belief of heredity, of mind in matter or ani-
mal magnetism; and we disarm sin of its imaginary power
in proportion to our spiritual understanding of the status
of immortal being.
TRANSLATION OF MORTAL MIND
First Degree: Depravity.
Physical. Evil beliefs, passions and
appetites, fear, depraved will,
self-justification, pride, envy, deceit, hatred, revenge, sin, sickness,
Second Degree: Evil beliefs disappearing.
Moral. Humanity, honesty, affection, compassion, hope, faith, meekness,
Third Degree: Understanding.
Spiritual. Wisdom, purity, spiritual understanding, spiritual power, love, health,
In the third degree mortal mind disappears, and
man as God’s image appears. Science so reverses the evidence before
the corporeal human senses, as to make this Scriptural testimony true in
our hearts, “The last shall be first, and the first last,” so that God and
His idea may be to us what divinity really is and must of necessity be, — all-inclusive.
- KJV 188:3-10
- What is termed disease does not exist. It is neither
mind nor matter. The belief of sin, which has grown
terrible in strength and influence, is an uncon-
scious error in the beginning, – an embryonic
thought without motive; but afterwards it
governs the so-called man. Passion, depraved appetites,
dishonesty, envy, hatred, revenge ripen into action, only to
pass from shame and woe to their final punishment.
- KJV 243:25-29
- Truth has no consciousness of error. Love has no
sense of hatred. Life has no partnership
with death. Truth, Life, and Love are a law
of annihilation to everything unlike themselves, because
they declare nothing except God.
- KJV 289:8-13
- A wicked mortal is not the idea of God. He is little
else than the expression of error. To suppose that sin,
lust, hatred, envy, hypocrisy, revenge, have life
abiding in them, is a terrible mistake. Life
and life’s idea, Truth and Truth’s idea, never make men
sick, sinful, or mortal.
- KJV 288:10-14
- When the final physical and moral effects of Christian
Science are fully apprehended, the conflict between truth
and error, understanding and belief, Science and material
sense, foreshadowed by the prophets and inaugurated
by Jesus, will cease, and spiritual harmony reign.
- KJV 329:32-7
- Human resistance to divine Science weakens in pro-
portion as mortals give up error for Truth and the un-
derstanding of being supersedes mere belief. Until the
author of this book learned the vastness of
Christian Science, the fixedness of mortal illu-
sions, and the human hatred of Truth, she cherished
sanguine hopes that Christian Science would meet with
immiediate and universal acceptance.
- KJV 404:29
- Hatred, envy, dishonesty, fear, and so forth,
make a man sick, and neither material medi-
cine nor Mind can help him permanently, even in body,
unless it makes him better mentally, and so delivers him
from his destroyers. The basic error is mortal mind.
Hatred inflames the brutal propensities. The indulgence
of evil motives and aims makes any man, who is above the
lowest type of manhood, a hopeless sufferer.
- KJV 405:5-11
- Christian Science commands man to master the pro-
pensities, – to hold hatred in abeyance with kindness,
to conquer lust with chastity, revenge with
charity, and to overcome deceit with hon-
esty. Choke these errors in their early stages, if you
would not cherish an army of conspirators against
health, happiness, and success.
- KJV 407:6-16
- Man’s enslavement to the most relentless masters –
passion, selfishness, envy, hatred, and revenge – is con-
quered only by a mighty struggle. Every
hour of delay makes the struggle more severe.
If man is not victorious over the passions, they crush
out happiness, health, and manhood. Here Christian
Science is the sovereign panacea, giving strength to the
weakness of mortal mind, – strength from the immortal
and omnipotent Mind, – and lifting humanity above
itself into purer desires, even into spiritual power and
good-will to man.
- KJV 563:1-7
- Human sense may well marvel at discord, while, to a
diviner sense., harmony is the real and discord the unreal.
We may well be astonished at sin, sickness, and
death. We may well be perplexed at human
fear; and still more astounded at hatred, which lifts
its hydra head, showing its horns in the many inventions
- KJV 571:18-19
- Clad in the panoply of Love, human hatred cannot reach you.
- KJV 454:9-10 (to 2nd .)
- Human hate has no legitimate mandate and no kingdom.
- KJV 201:7-12 Truth
- Truth makes a new creature, in whom old things pass away
and “all things are become new.” Passions, selfishness,
false appetites, hatred, fear, all sensuality, yield to spirit-
uality, and the superabundance of being is on the side
of God, good.
I Cor. 13:13 now
Matt. 5:1, 2, 43-45
Luke 6:22, 23 (to 2nd :)
John 15:17, 18
I John 3:13, 14 (to 1st .)
Gal. 5:1, 16 walk, 19-23
SH 454:9-10 (to 2nd .)
SH 201:7-12 Truth
296 Rouse ye, soldiers of the cross
429 Thou art the Way: to Thee alone
179 Love one another
Readings for Wed., 12/7/16, 2nd Church, Berkeley
- SH Matt. 11:1 1st It
- 1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.
- SH John 10:23-32
- 23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. 25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
- SH Matt. 27:1, 2, 22, 35 (to 1st :)
- 1 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: 2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor. 22 Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified. 35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots:
- SH Luke 23:34 (to 1st .)
- 34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
- SH Luke 24:1-3, 12-20, 24-32
- 1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. 2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. 3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. 12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass. 13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs. 14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. 15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them. 16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him. 17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad? 18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not. 25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: 26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? 27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. 28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further. 29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. 30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. 31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight. 32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
- SH 547:23-25
- The Scriptures are very sacred. Our aim must be to
have them understood spiritually, for only by this under-
standing can truth be gained.
- SH 139:4-14
- From beginning to end, the Scriptures are full of
accounts of the triumph of Spirit, Mind, over matter.
Moses proved the power of Mind by what men
called miracles; so did Joshua, Elijah, and
Elisha. The Christian era was ushered in with signs and
wonders. Reforms have commonly been attended with
bloodshed and persecution, even when the end has been
brightness and peace; but the present new, yet old, re-
form in religious faith will teach men patiently and wisely
to stem the tide of sectarian bitterness, whenever it flows
- SH 107:1
- In the year 1866, I discovered the Christ Science or
divine laws of Life, Truth, and Love, and
named my discovery Christian Science. God
had been graciously preparing me during many
years for the reception of this final revelation of the ab-
solute divine Principle of scientific mental healing.
- SH 109:11-16, 22
- For three years after my discovery, I sought the solu-
tion of this problem of Mind-healing, searched the Scrip-
tures and read little else, kept aloof from so-
ciety, and devoted time and energies to dis-
covering a positive rule. The search was sweet, calm, and
buoyant with hope, not selfish nor depressing.
The revelation of Truth in the understand-
ing came to me gradually and apparently through divine
power. When a new spiritual idea is borne to earth, the
prophetic Scripture of Isaiah is renewedly fulfilled:
“Unto us a child is born, . . . and his name shall be
- SH 123:19-29
- The revelation consists of two parts:
1. The discovery of this divine Science of Mind-
healing, through a spiritual sense of the Scriptures and
through the teachings of the Comforter, as promised by
2. The proof, by present demonstration, that the so-
called miracles of Jesus did not specially belong to a
dispensation now ended, but that they illustrated an
ever-operative divine Principle. The operation of this
Principle indicates the eternality of the scientific order
and continuity of being.
- SH 208:5-16
- The Scriptures say, “In Him we live, and move, and
have our being.” What then is this seeming power, in-
dependent of God, which causes disease and
cures it? What is it but an error of belief, –
a law of mortal mind, wrong in every sense,
embracing sin, sickness, and death? It is the very anti-
pode of immortal Mind, of Truth, and of spiritual law.
It is not in accordance with the goodness of God’s char-
acter that He should make man sick, then leave man to
heal himself; it is absurd to suppose that matter can both
cause and cure disease, or that Spirit, God, produces
disease and leaves the remedy to matter.
- SH 319:21
- The divine Science taught in the original language
of the Bible came through inspiration, and needs inspi-
ration to be understood. Hence the misappre-
hension of the spiritual meaning of the Bible,
and the misinterpretation of the Word in
some instances by uninspired writers, who only wrote
down what an inspired teacher had said. A misplaced
word changes the sense and misstates the Science of
the Scriptures, as, for instance, to name Love as merely
an attribute of God; but we can by special and proper
capitalization speak of the love of Love, meaning by that
what the beloved disciple meant in one of his epistles,
when he said, “God is love.” Likewise we can speak of
the truth of Truth and of the life of Life, for Christ plainly
declared, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.
- SH 24:4-10
- Acquaintance with the original texts, and willingness
to give up human beliefs (established by hierarchies, and
instigated sometimes by the worst passions of
men), open the way for Christian Science to be
understood, and make the Bible the chart of life, where
the buoys and healing currents of Truth are pointed
- SH 358:9-11, 15
- Christian Science, understood, coincides with the
Scriptures, and sustains logically and demonstratively
every point it presents.
It presents the calm and clear verdict of Truth
against error, uttered and illustrated by the prophets,
by Jesus, by his apostles, as is recorded throughout the
- SH 110:13-20
- In following these leadings of scientific revelation,
the Bible was my only textbook. The Scriptures were
illumined; reason and revelation were recon-
ciled, and afterwards the truth of Christian
Science was demonstrated. No human pen nor tongue
taught me the Science contained in this book, SCIENCE
AND HEALTH; and neither tongue nor pen can over-
Matt. 11:1 It
Matt. 27:1, 2, 22, 35 (to :)
Luke 23:34 (to 1st .)
Luke 24:1-3, 12-20, 24-32
SH 109:11-16, 22
SH 358:9-11, 15
114 Holy Bible, book divine
222 O little town of Bethlehem
417 Joy to the world
Wednesday Meeting 12-7-2016 First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville
The last chapter of Science and Health is Recapitulation. There are 24 questions. During December one question and answer can be studied each day before Christmas Day. This week’s readings draw from Q&A #1-7.
- KJV Isaiah 65:17 1st behold, 18-19
- 17 …behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
- KJV Isaiah 41:10-13, 15-16
- 10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 11 Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. 12 Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought. 13 For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. 15 Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: thou shalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff. 16 Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
- KJV Matt 3:1-2, 7 1st he (to 1st them), 11-12
- 1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 7 …he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
- KJV Matt 4:17
- 17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- KJV Matt 6:19-23
- 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.
- KJV Matt 7:15-20
- 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
- KJV Matt 13:24-30
- 24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
- KJV John 6:63
- 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
- KJV Gal 5:19-23, 25
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
- S&H 86:11
- Opposites come from contrary directions, and produce
- unlike results.
- S&H 270:5-10
- Matter and Mind are opposites. One is contrary to
the other in its very nature and essence; hence both can-
not be real. If one is real, the other must be unreal. Only
by understanding that there is but one power, – not two
powers, matter and Mind, – are scientific and logical
- S&H 276:25-32 (to non-intelligence
- Material beliefs and spiritual understanding never
mingle. The latter destroys the former. Discord is the
nothingness named error. Harmony is the somethingness
Nature and revelation inform us that like produces
like. Divine Science does not gather grapes
from thorns nor figs from thistles. Intelli-
gence never produces non-intelligence;
- S&H 277:6
- The immortal never produces the
mortal. Good cannot result in evil. As God Himself is
good and is Spirit, goodness and spirituality must be im-
mortal. Their opposites, evil and matter, are mortal
error, and error has no creator. If goodness and spirit-
uality are real, evil and materiality are unreal and can-
not be the outcome of an infinite God, good.
- S&H 356:15-18
- Jesus knew, “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh
There is neither a present nor an eternal copartner-
ship between error and Truth, between flesh and Spirit.
- S&H 595:5
- TARES. Mortality; error; sin; sickness; disease;
- S&H 586:6-7, 12
- FAN. Separator of fable from fact; that which gives
action to thought.
FIRE. Fear; remorse; lust; hatred; destruction; afflic-
tion purifying and elevating man.
- S&H 72:13
belief (the material sense of life) and immortal Truth
(the spiritual sense) are the tares and the wheat, which
are not united by progress, but separated.
The temporal and unreal never touch the eternal and real. The mutable and imperfect never touch the immutable and perfect. The inharmonious and self-destructive never touch the harmonious and self-existent. These opposite qualities are the tares and wheat, which never really mingle, though (to mortal sight) they grow side by side until the harvest; then, Science separates the wheat from the tares, through the realization of God as ever present and of man as reflecting the divine likeness.
- S&H 466:26-28
- The Science
of Christianity comes with fan in hand to separate the
chaff from the wheat.
- S&H 467:30 begin, 32
- …begin with Mind, which must be under-
stood through the idea which expresses it and
cannot be learned from its opposite, matter.
- S&H 466:8-16
- …these contrasting
pairs of terms represent contraries, as Chris-
tian Science reveals, which neither dwell together nor
assimilate. …mind and matter, life and death, truth and
error, good and evil; …Truth is immortal; error is mortal. Truth
is limitless; error is limited. Truth is intelligent; error
is non-intelligent. …Truth is real, and error is
- S&H 468:4-5, 11-13
…Truth is immortal, error must be mortal,
- …Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal.
- S&H 74:21-23
Darkness and light, infancy and manhood, sickness and health, are opposites,–different beliefs, which never blend.
- S&H 466:8-16
…matter has no place in Spirit, and Spirit has no place in matter. Truth has no home in error, and error has no foothold in Truth. Mind cannot pass into non-intelligence and matter, nor can non-intelligence become Soul. At no point can these opposites mingle or unite.
- S&H 406:11-13, 19-25
- The Science of being unveils the errors of sense, and
spiritual perception, aided by Science, reaches Truth.
Then error disappears.
Resist evil – error of every sort – and it will flee from
you. Error is opposed to Life. We can, and ultimately
shall, so rise as to avail ourselves in every direc-
tion of the supremacy of Truth over error, Life
over death, and good over evil, and this growth will go
on until we arrive at the fulness of God’s idea, and no
more fear that we shall be sick and die.
Isaiah 65:17 behold, 18-19
Isaiah 41:10-13, 15-16
Matt 3:1-2, 7 he (to them), 11-12
Gal 5:19-23, 25
276:25-32 (to non-intelligence;)
467:30 begin, 32
468:4-5 (to mortal,) 11-13
282:16 matter, (to unite.)
118…Holy Spirit, Light divine
135…I know no life divided
204…O Father, Thy kingdom is come upon earth
Readings for 11/30/16, 2nd Church, Berkeley
- SH John 17:1, 3, 17 2nd thy
- 1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 17 …thy word is truth.
- SH Isa 31:5
- 5 As birds flying, so will the LORD of hosts defend Jerusalem; defending also he will deliver it; and passing over he will preserve it.
- SH Ps. 85:11
- 11 Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
- SH I Kings 17:8-19 1st the, 21-24
- 8 …the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, 9 Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee. 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink. 11 And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand. 12 And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die. 13 And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. 14 For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth. 15 And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days. 16 And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah. 17 And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him. 18 And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son? 19 And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed. 21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child’s soul come into him again. 22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived. 23 And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth. 24 And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.
- SH Heb. 4:12
- 12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- SH I Pet. 1:25 1st the
- 25 …the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
- SH James 1:18
- 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
- SH 497:3-4 As
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word
of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- SH 511:19, 28
- 20. And God said, Let the waters bring forth
abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl
that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of
fowls, which fly above the earth in the open firmament
of heaven, correspond to aspirations soaring beyond and
above corporeality to the understanding of the incorporeal
and divine Principle, Love.
- SH 435:19-23, 31-33
- Watching beside the couch of pain in the exercise of a
love that “is the fulfilling of the law,” – doing “unto
others as ye would that they should do unto you,” – this
is no infringement of law, for no demand, human or divine,
renders it just to punish a man for acting justly.
to be smitten contrary to the law?” The only jurisdiction
to which the prisoner can submit is that of Truth, Life, and
- SH 436:11
- Giving a cup of cold water in Christ’s name, is a Christian
service. Laying down his life for a good deed, Mortal Man
should find it again. Such acts bear their own justifica-
tion, and are under the protection of the Most High.
- SH 105:11 2nd Can, 22
- Can matter be punished? Can you separate the men-
tality from the body over which courts hold jurisdiction?
Mortal mind, not matter, is the criminal in every case;
and human law rightly estimates crime, and courts rea-
sonably pass sentence, according to the motive.
Whoever uses his developed mental powers like an es-
caped felon to commit fresh atrocities as opportunity oc-
curs is never safe. God will arrest him. Di-
vine justice will manacle him. His sins will
be millstones about his neck, weighing him down to the
depths of ignominy and death. The aggravation of er-
ror foretells its doom, and confirms the ancient axiom:
“Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
- SH 196:15
sin, and death are not concomitants of Life or Truth.
No law supports them. They have no relation to God
wherewith to establish their power. Sin makes its own
hell, and goodness its own heaven.
- SH 97:22
requires courage to utter truth; for the higher Truth
lifts her voice, the louder will error scream, until its in-
articulate sound is forever silenced in oblivion.
- SH 442:16-22
- Neither animal magnetism nor hypnotism enters into
the practice of Christian Science, in which truth cannot
be reversed, but the reverse of error is true.
An improved belief cannot retrograde. When
Christ changes a belief of sin or of sickness into
a better belief, then belief melts into spiritual understand-
ing, and sin, disease, and death disappear.
- SH 427:30
will waken from its own material declaration, “I am
dead,” to catch this trumpet-word of Truth, “There
is no death, no inaction, diseased action, overaction, nor
- SH 234:17-27
- If mortals would keep proper ward over mortal mind,
the brood of evils which infest it would be cleared out.
We must begin with this so-called mind and
empty it of sin and sickness, or sin and sick-
ness will never cease. The present codes of human
systems disappoint the weary searcher after a divine
theology, adequate to the right education of human
Sin and disease must be thought before they can be
manifested. You must control evil thoughts in the first
instance, or they will control you in the second.
- SH 442:30
- Christian Scientists, be a law to yourselves that mental
malpractice cannot harm you either when asleep or when
- SH 517:8-10
- The ideal man
corresponds to creation, to intelligence, and to Truth.
The ideal woman corresponds to Life and to Love.
- SH 543:26-28
- Ideas of Truth alone are reflected
in the myriad manifestations of Life, and thus it is
seen that man springs solely from Mind.
- SH 411:10-12
- If Spirit or the power of divine Love bear
witness to the truth, this is the ultimatum, the scientific
way, and the healing is instantaneous.
- SH 458:14-15 (to 2nd .), 17
- Divinity is always ready.
The two-edged sword
of Truth must turn in every direction to guard “the tree
- SH 446:20
- To understand
God strengthens hope, enthrones faith in Truth, and
verifies Jesus’ word: “Lo, I am with you alway, even
unto the end of the world.
- SH 568:26-30
- A louder song, sweeter
than has ever before reached high heaven,
now rises clearer and nearer to the great heart of Christ;
for the accuser is not there, and Love sends forth her
primal and everlasting strain.
John 17:1, 3, 17 2nd thy
I Kings 17:8-19 1st the, 21-24
I Pet. 1:25 1st the
SH 497:3-4 As
SH 511:19, 28
SH 435:19-23, 31-33
SH 105:11 2nd Can, 22
SH 458:14-15 (to 2nd .), 17
77 God is my strong salvation
252 O Word of God most holy
230 O Love, O Life, our faith and sight
First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville, NC for Wednesday Meeting 11-30-2016
The last chapter of Science and Health is Recapitulation. There are 24 questions. Tomorrow is December 1, and 24 days till Christmas. Each day of Advent can be an opportunity to study Q and A. Tonight we have a head start with Question 1 and 2 as we consider the others during this time of Advent.
- S&H 465:8-10
- Question. – What is God?
Answer. – God is incorporeal, divine, supreme, infinite
Mind, Spirit, Soul, Principle, Life, Truth, Love.
- Bible Readings were read from the New Living Translation.
- KJV Ex 34:1, 5-6
- 1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest. 5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
- KJV Num 23:19
- 19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
- KJV Deut 6:4-5
- 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
- KJV Deut 10:17-18
- 17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: 18 He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
- KJV Deut 33:27 (to 1st thee)
- 27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee;
- KJV Ps 18:30-33
- 30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. 31 For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? 32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect. 33 He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
- KJV Ps 46:1-5
- 1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. 4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
- KJV Ps 62:5-8
- 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.
- KJV Isaiah 40:28-31
- 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
- KJV Isaiah 41:10
- 10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
- KJV Matt 22:32
- 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
- KJV John 4:24
- 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
- KJV I John 1:5
- 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- KJV I John 4:7-8, 16
- 7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
- KJV I Cor 4:20-21
- 20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. 21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?
- KJV II Cor 9:8-9
- 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
- KJV James 1:17
- 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- KJV I Peter 1:15-16
- 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
- S&H 465:11-15
- Question. – Are these terms synonymous?
Answer. – They are. They refer to one absolute God.
They are also intended to express the nature, essence, and
wholeness of Deity. The attributes of God are justice,
mercy, wisdom, goodness, and so on.
- S&H 116:20
- Christian Science strongly emphasizes the thought that
God is not corporeal, but incorporeal, – that is,
bodiless. Mortals are corporeal, but God is
- S&H 13:20-29
- If we pray to God as a corporeal person, this will
prevent us from relinquishing the human doubts and
fears which attend such a belief, and so we
cannot grasp the wonders wrought by infi-
nite, incorporeal Love, to whom all things are possible.
Because of human ignorance of the divine Principle,
Love, the Father of all is represented as a corporeal
creator; hence men recognize themselves as merely
physical, and are ignorant of man as God’s image or re-
flection and of man’s eternal incorporeal existence.
- S&H 204:3-15, 20
- All forms of error support the false conclusions that
there is more than one Life; that material history is as
real and living as spiritual history; that mortal
error is as conclusively mental as immortal
Truth; and that there are two separate, an-
tagonistic entities and beings, two powers, – namely,
Spirit and matter, – resulting in a third person (mortal
man) who carries out the delusions of sin, sickness, and
The first power is admitted to be good, an intelligence or
Mind called God. The so-called second power, evil, is the
unlikeness of good. It cannot therefore be mind, though so called.
- When will the ages under-
- stand the Ego, and realize only one God, one
Mind or intelligence?
- S&H 214:14
- When it is learned that the spirit-
ual sense, and not the material, conveys the impressions
of Mind to man, then being will be understood and found
to be harmonious.
- S&H 245:32-1
- The infinite never began nor will it ever end. Mind
and its formations can never be annihilated.
- S&H 257:30-31, 32-8
- It would require an infinite form to contain infinite
Finite man cannot be the image and
likeness of the infinite God. A mortal, corporeal, or
finite conception of God cannot embrace the glories of
limitless, incorporeal Life and Love. Hence
the unsatisfied human craving for something
better, higher, holier, than is afforded by a
material belief in a physical God and man. The insuffi-
ciency of this belief to supply the true idea proves the
falsity of material belief.
- S&H 258:13-16
- God expresses in man the infinite idea forever develop-
ing itself, broadening and rising higher and higher from
a boundless basis. Mind manifests all that exists in
the infinitude of Truth.
- S&H 262:30
- Divine Mind is the only cause
or Principle of existence. Cause does not exist in matter,
in mortal mind, or in physical forms.
- S&H 272:29
- God is the divine Principle of all that repre-
sents Him and of all that really exists. Chris-
tian Science, as demonstrated by Jesus, alone
reveals the natural, divine Principle of Science.
- S&H 273:10-12
- Divine Science reverses the false testimony of the ma-
terial senses, and thus tears away the foun-
dations of error.
- S&H 283:13-24
- But what say prevalent theories? They insist that
Life, or God, is one and the same with material life so-
called. They speak of both Truth and error as mind,
and of good and evil as spirit. They claim that to be
life which is but the objective state of material sense, –
such as the structural life of the tree and of material
man, – and deem this the manifestation of the one Life,
This false belief as to what really constitutes life so
detracts from God’s character and nature, that the true
sense of His power is lost to all who cling to
- S&H 285:17-31
- The time has come for a
finite conception of the infinite and of a ma-
terial body as the seat of Mind to give place
to a diviner sense of intelligence and its manifestations,
to the better understanding that Science gives of the
Supreme Being, or divine Principle, and idea.
By interpreting God as a corporeal Saviour but not as
the saving Principle, or divine Love, we shall continue
to seek salvation through pardon and not
through reform, and resort to matter instead
of Spirit for the cure of the sick. As mortals
reach, through knowledge of Christian Science, a higher
sense, they will seek to learn, not from matter, but from
the divine Principle, God, how to demonstrate the Christ,
Truth, as the healing and saving power.
- S&H 330:11-12
- I. God is infinite, the only Life, substance, Spirit, or
Soul, the only intelligence of the universe, including man.
- S&H 275:6, 14-19
- The starting-point of divine Science is
that God, Spirit, is All-in-all, and that there is no other
might nor Mind, – that God is Love, and therefore He
is divine Principle.
All substance, intelligence, wisdom, being, im-
mortality, cause, and effect belong to God. These are
His attributes, the eternal manifestations of the infinite
divine Principle, Love. No wisdom is wise but His
wisdom; no truth is true, no love is lovely, no life is Life
but the divine; no good is, but the good God bestows.
465:8-10Ex 34:1, 5-6
Deut 33:27 (to thee)
I John 1:5
I John 4:7-8, 16
I Cor 4:20-21
II Cor 9:8-9
I Peter 1:15-16465:8-10
281…Praise our great and gracious Lord
178…Love is life’s crown and glory
349…Thy will, almighty Father, Thine
Wednesday 11/23/16 readings and hymns, 2nd Church Berkeley
- SH Dan. 9:20-22, 23 1st for (to 1st :)
- 20 And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God; 21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23 …for thou art greatly beloved:
- SH Luke 1:5-7, 11-13, 18, 19, 24-32 (to 1st :)
- 5 THERE was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. 7 And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years. 11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. 18 And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years. 19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. 24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, 25 Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men. 26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest:
- SH Mark 1:9-13
- 9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan. 10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him: 11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. 12 And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness. 13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.
- SH Matt. 27:1, 35, 50, 51, 54, 55
- 1 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: 35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. 50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. 55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
- SH Matt. 28:1, 2, 5, 6 (to 1st .)
- 1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. 2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. 5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. 6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said.
- SH Ps. 68:17 (to 1st :)
- 17 The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands of angels:
- SH Heb. 13:1, 2
- 1 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
- SH 581:4-7
- ANGELS. God’s thoughts passing to man; spiritual
intuitions, pure and perfect; the inspiration of goodness,
purity, and immortality, counteracting all evil, sensuality,
- SH 174:9-14
- The footsteps of thought, rising above material stand-
points, are slow, and portend a long night to the traveller;
but the angels of His presence – the spiritual
intuitions that tell us when “the night is far
spent, the day is at hand” – are our guardians in the
- SH 298:25-30
- Angels are not etherealized human beings, evolving
animal qualities in their wings; but they are celestial
visitants, flying on spiritual, not material,
pinions. Angels are pure thoughts from God,
winged with Truth and Love, no matter what their indi-
vidualism may be.
- SH 299:7
- My angels are exalted thoughts, appearing at the door
of some sepulchre, in which human belief has buried
its fondest earthly hopes. With white fin-
gers they point upward to a new and glo-
rified trust, to higher ideals of life and its joys. Angels
are God’s representatives. These upward-soaring beings
never lead towards self, sin, or materiality, but guide to
the divine Principle of all good, whither every real indi-
viduality, image, or likeness of God, gathers. By giving
earnest heed to these spiritual guides they tarry with us,
and we entertain “angels unawares.
- SH 372:14-17
- When man demonstrates Christian Science absolutely,
he will be perfect. He can neither sin, suffer, be subject
to matter, nor disobey the law of God. There-
fore he will be as the angels in heaven.
- SH 482:19
- Jesus was the highest human
concept of the perfect man. He was inseparable from
Christ, the Messiah, – the divine idea of God outside
the flesh. This enabled Jesus to demonstrate his con-
trol over matter. Angels announced to the Wisemen of
old this dual appearing, and angels whisper it, through
faith, to the hungering heart in every age.
- SH 501:10-13
- The incarnation of Truth, that amplifi-
cation of wonder and glory which angels could only
whisper and which God illustrated by light and har-
mony, is consonant with ever-present Love.
- SH 512:8-16
- Spirit is symbolized by strength, presence, and power,
and also by holy thoughts, winged with Love. These an-
gels of His presence, which have the holiest
charge, abound in the spiritual atmosphere of
Mind, and consequently reproduce their own character-
istics. Their individual forms we know not, but we do
know that their natures are allied to God’s nature; and
spiritual blessings, thus typified, are the externalized, yet
subjective, states of faith and spiritual understanding.
- SH 548:12
- Earth has little light or joy for mortals before
Life is spiritually learned. Every agony of mortal error
helps error to destroy error, and so aids the apprehension
of immortal Truth. This is the new birth going on
hourly, by which men may entertain angels, the true
ideas of God, the spiritual sense of being.
- SH 566:25-8
- And there was war in heaven:
Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the
dragon fought, and his angels, and prevailed not; neither
was their place found any more in heaven.
The Old Testament assigns to the angels, God’s divine
messages, different offices. Michael’s charac-
teristic is spiritual strength. He leads the
hosts of heaven against the power of sin, Satan, and
fights the holy wars. Gabriel has the more quiet task
of imparting a sense of the ever-presence of ministering
Love. These angels deliver us from the depths. Truth
and Love come nearer in the hour of woe, when strong
faith or spiritual strength wrestles and prevails through
the understanding of God. The Gabriel of His presence
has no contests. To infinite, ever-present Love, all is
Love, and there is no error, no sin, sickness, nor death.
Dan. 9:20-22, 23 for (to :)
Luke 1:5-7, 11-13, 18, 19, 24-32 (to :)
Matt. 27:1, 35, 50, 51, 54, 55
Matt. 28:1, 2, 5, 6 (to 1st .)
Ps. 68:17 (to :)
Heb. 13:1, 2
181 Loving Father, we Thy children;
9 All glory be to God most high
158 It came upon the midnight clear
First Church of Christ, Scientist-Asheville, NC Wednesday Meeting 11-23-2016
- KJV Matt 18:20 1st where
- 20 …where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
- KJV Mark 6:30-44
- 30 And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught. 31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. 32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately. 33 And the people saw them departing, and many knew him, and ran afoot thither out of all cities, and outwent them, and came together unto him. 34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things. 35 And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came unto him, and said, This is a desert place, and now the time is far passed: 36 Send them away, that they may go into the country round about, and into the villages, and buy themselves bread: for they have nothing to eat. 37 He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread, and give them to eat? 38 He saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? go and see. And when they knew, they say, Five, and two fishes. 39 And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies upon the green grass. 40 And they sat down in ranks, by hundreds, and by fifties. 41 And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. 42 And they did all eat, and were filled. 43 And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes. 44 And they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men.
- KJV Acts 2:1-2, 4, 42-44, 46-47
- 1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. 44 And all that believed were together, 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- KJV Eph 1:1-3
- 1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
- KJV Eph 4:3-7, 11-15, 24, 32
- 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. 7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
- S&H 17:4-5
- Give us this day our daily bread;
_Give us grace for to-day;
- S&H 410:9
- The Scriptures
say, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every
word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,” show-
ing that Truth is the actual life of man; but mankind
objects to making this teaching practical.
- S&H 21:9
- If the disciple is advancing spiritually, he is striv-
ing to enter in. He constantly turns away from ma-
terial sense, and looks towards the imperishable things
of Spirit. If honest, he will be in earnest from the
start, and gain a little each day in the right direction,
till at last he finishes his course with joy.
- S&H 518:15-19
- The rich in spirit help the poor in
one grand brotherhood, all having the same
Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth
his brother’s need and supplieth it, seeking his own in
- S&H 519:11
man capacity is slow to discern and to grasp
God’s creation and the divine power and presence which
go with it, demonstrating its spiritual origin. Mortals
can never know the infinite, until they throw off the old
man and reach the spiritual image and likeness. What
can fathom infinity! How shall we declare Him, till,
in the language of the apostle, “we all come in the unity
of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto
a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the ful-
ness of Christ”?
- S&H 46:30-9
- His students  received the Holy Ghost. By this is
meant, that by all they had witnessed and suffered, they
were roused to an enlarged understanding of divine Sci-
ence, even to the spiritual interpretation and discernment
of Jesus’ teachings and demonstrations, which gave them
a faint conception of the Life which is God.
They no longer measured man by material
sense. After gaining the true idea of their glorified Master,
they became better healers, leaning no longer on matter,
but on the divine Principle of their work. The influx of
light was sudden. It was sometimes an overwhelming
power as on the Day of Pentecost.
- S&H 90:24-25, 27-30
- The admission to one’s self that man is God’s own like-
ness sets man free to master the infinite idea.
and recognition of Spirit must finally come, and we may
as well improve our time in solving the mysteries of being
through an apprehension of divine Principle.
- S&H 202:3-13
- The scientific unity which exists between God and man
must be wrought out in life-practice, and God’s will must
be universally done.
If men would bring to bear upon the study of the
Science of Mind half the faith they bestow upon the so-
called pains and pleasures of material sense,
they would not go on from bad to worse,
until disciplined by the prison and the scaffold; but
the whole human family would be redeemed through
the merits of Christ, – through the perception and ac-
ceptance of Truth.
- S&H 40:25
- Our heavenly Father, divine Love, demands that all
men should follow the example of our Master and his
apostles and not merely worship his personal-
ity. It is sad that the phrase divine service
has come so generally to mean public worship instead of
- S&H 206:15
- In the scientific relation of God to man, we find that
whatever blesses one blesses all, as Jesus showed with
the loaves and the fishes, – Spirit, not matter, being the
source of supply.
- S&H 470:32-5
- The relations of God and man, divine Principle and
idea, are indestructible in Science; and Science knows
no lapse from nor return to harmony, but holds the divine
order or spiritual law, in which God and all that He cre-
ates are perfect and eternal, to have remained unchanged
in its eternal history.
- S&H 234:4
- Whatever inspires with wisdom, Truth, or Love – be
it song, sermon, or Science – blesses the human family
with crumbs of comfort from Christ’s table
feeding the hungry and giving living waters to
- S&H 322:3
- When understanding changes the standpoints of life and
intelligence from a material to a spiritual basis, we shall
gain the reality of Life, the control of Soul over
sense, and we shall perceive Christianity, or
Truth, in its divine Principle. This must be the climax
before harmonious and immortal man is obtained and his
capabilities revealed. It is highly important – in view
of the immense work to be accomplished before this recog-
nition of divine Science can come – to turn our thoughts
towards divine Principle, that finite belief may be pre-
pared to relinquish its error.
- S&H 576:31-4
- This human sense of Deity yields to the divine
sense, even as the material sense of personality yields
to the incorporeal sense of God and man as the infinite
Principle and infinite idea, – as one Father with His uni-
versal family, held in the gospel of Love.
Matt 18:20 where
Acts 2:1-2, 4, 42-44, 46-47
Eph 4:3-7, 11-15, 24, 32
196…Now is the time approaching
266…Our God is Love
278…Pilgrim on earth, home and Heaven are within thee